- Do you have any pets, if so, what are they?
- What is your favourite animal and why?
- What does this animal look like and what does it like to eat?
- Are animals well looked after where you are from? Why?
- Do you have certain routines that you follow, if so, what are they?
- Do you have friends or family that follow similar routines?
- What do you like about your routine?
- How would you feel if something in your daily routine was changed?
- What is your favourite book and why?
- What is your least favourite book and why?
- Is there a library in your hometown?
- What information can you learn from reading books?
Recommended: Importance of reading
- Why is cleanliness important?
- How often do you think one should clean?
- What types of things should be cleaned?
- How clean do you think this room is?
- What do you like to wear?
- Where do you buy your clothing and what colors do you choose?
- What type of clothes do you not like wearing?
- What type of clothing do your friends wear?
- Which culture do you belong too?
- How do people greet each other?
- What type of customs and traditions do you practice?
- Are you interested in learning about other cultures? Why?
- Do you usually exercise, if so, how often?
- What activities do you do while exercising?
- Do people in your country do a lot of exercising?
- What can happen if people do not exercise?
- How many siblings do you have?
- What are their names and how old are they?
- Where are your parents originally from?
- Who are your extended family members? (cousins, aunts, uncles etc.)
- What is your biggest fear and why?
- How does having this fear make you feel?
- Do you know people that share the same fear?
- How can you work through your fears?
- How are you feeling right now?
- How do you feel when someone hurts your feelings? Why?
- How do you feel when someone makes you happy? Why?
- Why is it important to think about other people’s feelings?
- What is your favourite food and why?
- What is your least favourite food and why?
- What is a typical food from your home country?
- What is a food you would love to try?
- What is a goal that you have?
- How do you plan to reach this goal?
- Do you need help achieving your goal?
- Do you think it’s important to set goals? Why?
- What hobbies do you like to do?
- What do you like about the hobbies you do?
- Is there anybody in your family you share a hobby with?
- When did you start practicing your hobby and how long do you spend practicing?
- What is your favourite holiday and why?
- What is your least favoruite holiday and why?
- How do you spend most of your holidays?
- Do you do anything special with your family on holidays, if so what?
- Where is your hometown?
- Do you live in a city or rural area?
- Do you like living in your hometown? Why?
- How do people get around in your hometown?
16. Household Items
- What household item do you use the most and why?
- How does it work?
- How often do you use your household items?
- Why are household items useful?
- What do you want to be when you grow up and why?
- Do a lot of people do this job in your country?
- What type of jobs do people in your country have?
- Do you think everyone should work? Why?
More ESL Conversation Topics for Students
You are half way, but we have more!
- Who taught you about manners?
- How often do you use them and why?
- Why are using manners important?
- How do you feel when someone isn’t using manners?
- What is your favourite type of movie and why?
- What is your least favourite type of movie and why?
- Do you go to the cinema to watch a movie?
- Do you watch movies in different languages? Why?
- What is your favourite song and who sings it?
- How much time a day do you spend listening to music?
- What genre of music do you like best? Why?
- What kind of music is preferred where you are from?
- What do you do in a typical day at school?
- What is your favourite subject and why?
- What is your least favourite subject and why?
- What do you like about your teachers?
- Can you name the four seasons?
- What clothes do you need to wear in each season?
- What season do you like best and why?
- What season do you like least and why?
- How time do you go to sleep and what time do you wake up?
- How many hours of sleep do you usually get a night?
- Do you think you get enough sleep? Why?
- If you don’t get enough sleep, how do you feel?
- Do you like shopping and why?
- What do you usually shop for and where do you go shopping?
- Who do you go shopping with?
- Are their many shops in your hometown?
- What sports do you like and dislike? Why?
- What sport is popular where you live?
- Why are sports important?
- Who do you play sports with?
- What is your favourite T.V program and why?
- Is it an international T.V program?
- What is the T.V program about?
- How often do you watch this T.V program and who watches it with you?
- How important is time to you?
- How much free time do you usually have?
- Who do you spend your free time with?
- If you had more free time, what would you do with it?
- How do you travel to get to school?
- How long does it take you to get to school?
- What other types of transportation have you used?
- How often do you use public transport?
- Where have you traveled too?
- Who do you usually go traveling with?
- What languages do you use when traveling?
- What is your favourite tourist attraction?
- What is the weather outside today?
- What is the weather normally like where you live?
- How can the weather effect your feelings?
- What kind of weather is your favourite and why?